Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Traditions at Christmas

I've always loved traditions, especially Christmas traditions. We've done the same things every year since I was really little. This year Christmas is different.

Every other year we (the Thompson kids) trade off holidays between our parents. This year is my dad's year for Christmas. Because of a few different things, I did not go with him and my siblings to Arizona to visit my dad's sister. Part of me was only too happy. Christmas Eve at my Grandma Fausett's house is one of the things I look forward to all year long, but this year it was different.

We had to celebrate Christmas eve a day early, my mom's siblings were celebrating with their other sides of the family. Only one of six siblings was there with me, I'm still trying to get used to the fact that my step brothers will be at every family thing for the rest of my life, and most of all, my cousin Kyle is gone.

We did the same things we always do. We opened our one present, pajamas. We played our gift card exchange/story game. We read the Christmas story and sang songs. But it was just different.

I miss Ashley, Josh, Jayden, and Emily. I miss Kyle.

Even though things were different they were still good. For the first time in years we had Christmas punch, I got to sit with adults at dinner, my aunt Susan brought a book full of pictures of Kyle and his mission adventures, the little cousins were really fun to play with, we had an ice cream cake (boo yeah!!), I'm so thankful that my cousin has the amazing opportunity to serve a mission, and you could feel the love of family.

Different isn't always bad, it's just different. Traditions don't have to be kept exactly the same every year, it's the idea of traditions that counts. It all goes with the Spirit of Christmas. I'm thankful for this time of year to help remind me to look at what's important in life.

The little specifics don't have to come together exactly, they are just an aid to get us thinking, to help us remember. May we remember the real reason for the season this Christmas.

No comments: