Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Saaaan Diego!

For Thanksgiving break this year my family headed out to sunny California. Our final destination was the result of some last minute planning, but it ended up being one of my favorite vacations so far! It has always been one of my biggest dreams to go to the San Diego Zoo and that was how we spent out first day! I woke up excited. The night before was similar to the 'I can't sleep before Christmas' feeling.

Dream come true I tell you!!


Walking up to the front where we bought our tickets was a giant plant shaped like an Elephant. We went on Thanksgiving day and they had Christmas music playing. Now I am a person that likes my Holidays to be celebrated separately, but the Christmas music just added to my excitement. Once we were through the gates we wasted little time before getting started.




By some lucky chance the turtles happen to be near the entrance. Talk about starting the day off right! [For those of you who don't know I have a turtle obsession, it's probably not healthy, but we won't go there]



These ones were big enough that you could ride them! They were the most active turtles I have ever seen. We spent a good 30 minutes just watching them. I was in turtle heaven!!

Fun fact: They like to have their necks scratched. I don't do the whole touching animals thing, but my dad sure does. He said they felt like an old piece of worn leather. 

The turtle pictured below looked something straight out of a Dinosaur movie. Probably the coolest underwater animal I have ever laid my eyes on.

This picture does not do it justice

After the turtles we explored the rest of the amphibians.

I kissed this frog wondering if Prince Charming would appear, but no one did. I'm pretty sure that means my Prince Charming is in New Mexico, but who really knows :)

Another favorite, the elephants.




My favorite animal ever since I was little has been a lion. They are so majestic and powerful. I just love them. Isn't she gorgeous? Please excuse the fence

The Polar Bear exhibit was another place where we spent a good chunk of time. Say hello to the newest Sea Lions in California.



We ended the day at the Zoo with a ride across the park on the Skyfari. The Sun was just starting to set and it was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Love these kids


The next day we spent some time at the beach. My dad, Jenn, Emily, Josh, and Jayden went kayaking while Ashley and myself stayed back. We wrote lots of things in the sand, built a sweet sandcastle, and tried not to freeze.




These cute kids played in their wet suits for hours after kayaking. We ended up waiting in the car until they were done. Good thing they're so darn cute!



The water would get stuck inside, so their pants would get bubbled up.
For some reason we all found this hilarious.

And you can't go to San Diego without making a stop by the beautiful temple. We finished our trip with a stop by the Mormon Battalion, which was way cool, go if you're ever in the area, and also stopping by the Temple.



She made a great soldier


Panning for Gold



The long car ride was definitely worth it. Thanksgiving 2012 you were great!

No comments: