Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Stranger things have happened

About two weeks ago I bought my first car. I've been saving for a long time to be able to. It's come time where taking the bus just wasn't going to cut it for me anymore. After a long search that included ads in the paper, stalking around a few neighborhoods, and looking on KSL I found my car.


I think it's pretty cute. Purple would not have been my first choice of a car, but it's growing on me.

You know when things fall so perfectly into place that you could not have planned it any better even if you wanted to? That's how this car was for me. The night I went to see it I was actually supposed to go see another car, but those people fell through. I was extremely disappointed. I had the thought to check a listing on KSL again and try contacting the seller. Fortunately for me he said to come right on over! 

I went over and instantly knew this was the one. The man who was selling it actually works at a car dealership. When he first said that, I was a little leery. He then proceeded to tell us how he had bought this car for his niece, but her dad had recently lost his job, so they could no longer afford it. I felt that if he had originally bought the car for a family member that it was probably a car in good condition. 

I had been aiming to stay under $3500. The asking price was $3000. After we got talking to him for a bit I mentioned how I'd been looking for something relatively inexpensive because I was the one paying for it. He then said you know what I'll bring it down to $2500. I didn't have to haggle with him or anything! 

There were a couple of things he said would probably need to be fixed on the car before I'd be able to register it. That was part of the reason he brought the price down. The repairs he talked about were minor and I was still feeling good about it. 

The next morning when we went back to pay for it he said he decided to only charge me $2300. He said that he remembers what it's like to be a struggling college student. Man was I blown away by his generosity. I thanked him profusely and he chuckled saying it was nothing. What he may not have realized was that the $200 he just let me keep would be enough to pay for the necessary repairs. 

Finding this car at the time I did was a blessing. The man I bought it from was headed out of town early the morning I bought it. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. 


Today I made everything officially official. I got my license plates. While that may not seem exciting to you, it was very exciting for me! Figuring out all this growing up stuff is definitely a bumpy ride, but I'm glad to be doing it. And luckily, I have an amazing family who helps me out. 

No comments: