Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Don't live a meaningless life

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others."
-Morrie Schwartz

I had this quote up on my mirror for two weeks because I needed it. I am guilty of chasing the wrong things. 

Have you ever had where when you decide you are going to do something Satan just pounds on you the other way? That is the only way I can explain the last two weeks. I was having a hard time seeing the good in others. I found myself being short with people and getting angry at little things. I was living a meaningless life. Mainly, what it came down to is that I was focusing on myself.

I've found that the best way for me to love others is to talk with them. Find out what is going on in their life and what they care about. If I don't do this on a daily basis I feel a huge difference in my day. The power that a simple conversation can have astounds me. 


On another note,in my Geography class lately we have been learning about Africa. I learned that every day 40,000 children die from preventable diseases. PREVENTABLE. The reason that they die is because they aren't educated about some of the very basic things. I have come to realize how extremely blessed I am that I was born in the place that I am, in the time that I was, and into the family that I have. When we were learning about these children I felt an overwhelming rush of love for them. I pictured them as my little siblings and how devastated I would be if one of my siblings didn't know some of the basics of health care, and died as a result of that. Just look at all their cute faces!







For a small moment I felt a portion of the love that I know Heavenly Father feels for them. Learning about this was just what I needed to start focusing on others again. Take a minute and appreciate the people around you. Try to not get so caught up in yourself that you forget how blessed you are. 

Trust me, it's worth your time.