Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Elder Thompson

Today is the day I have been looking forward to and dreading. My best friend and little brother went into the MTC. I thought it would be a piece of cake since I had sort of already sent a missionary off, but when it's a family member it has a whole new side to it. There were aspects about it that were much harder than I expected and things that were easier. 

It is so weird because it is one of those things we have talked about forever but didn't really know how it would all work out.

This morning all of my brothers and sisters went to breakfast with my dad. I didn't get to stay long because I had a test review in class, but it was nice to all be together. Later in the day we met my grandparents at Chili's for lunch. Pretty much everyone was too nervous/anxious to eat anything. John was the most anxious of us all. He went to the bathroom every 30 minutes right up until the time we actually dropped him off. He probably wouldn't want me to share that, but oh well. 

I was proud of how well I kept it together today. I've had my fair share of tears in the last week. Sometimes I think we just want to make ourselves feel sad. I don't really know why that is. He was really thoughtful of everyone's feelings right up until the very end. He made sure that everyone got to take a picture with him that wanted to. I think he made everyone feel important. 


Look how cute he is!

We consider ourselves his biggest fans. One of the hardest things was watching my younger siblings cry. He is my brothers' biggest hero. I'm so proud of the amazing example he has set for them. He is paving the way for the rest of those tykes. 





We just can't get enough of him! My mom has been a great example of being strong for John. Her reassurance that everything will be ok has been my rock. Getting out of the car at the curb of the MTC was brutal. I thought for a second that I wasn't going to be able to hug him before he went in, but they gave us enough time so each of us could give him a quick hug goodbye. We were both in tears and held tight for just a few moments. In that hug I felt the strength of the Spirit and that everything really would be okay. Even though he was leaving our family I knew he wasn't being left alone. He's in Heavenly Father's hands now and there's no place I would rather he be. 

Even though sending him off has been one of the harder things I've done in my life I know that it will ultimately be a huge blessing. He is going to be an amazing missionary. I can't wait to hear about the things he will learn and the people he will meet. 

I think Winnie the Pooh said it best:

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying 
goodbye so hard.” 

No comments: