Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The power of a word

This semester I am taking a Marriage and Family prep class. We got to choose what to do for our major assignment for the semester. I chose to  focus on loving others and self love. To help out with that, I have decided to write a different quote on my bathroom mirror each week that pertains to one of those topics. This week's quote comes from an unknown author.

"I can is 100 times more important than IQ"
-Unknown 

I have been blessed all my life to have really smart friends, and while that has been a help at times it has also been a cause of some major self doubt. I would tell myself that I couldn't do as well on a test or write as good of a paper because one of my friends would do a better job than I would. So what?  My neighbors best effort has nothing to do with my best effort. 

You know how it can be hard to be happy for someone else's success? Why is that? There is plenty to go around in this world. Why do we let ourselves give up when we can do anything we put our minds to. I think it comes down to being confident in yourself and your abilities. Allowing yourself to think you can live up to a pre-determined measure. 


Can you think of a time when you decided that you were going to do something no matter what anyone else thought or said about it? Think of how fired up you felt. You could do it because you believed in yourself. Why don't we tell ourselves that about everything we want to accomplish in life? 

The word can means: to have power or means to. Telling yourself that you can do something gives you power. Power over your life. You decide what is going to happen. Don't tell yourself you aren't smart enough or that you shouldn't try because there is someone out there who is better at whatever the particular thing might be. You can do it. 



So drop whatever it is that's holding you back. If it's a group of friends, change your friends. If it's a series of thoughts, change your thoughts. Tell yourself you can and mean it!! You will do whatever it is you want to. Your hopes and dreams ARE within your reach. 


Do you dare to make them come true? Make the word can a part of your vocabulary and I promise they will.

No comments: